Thursday

Year of the Rat - Good Riddance

Wow, what a vacation I just took. I haven't written anything since before Christmas. I've been busy working and hanging out with the family and all the other poor excuses I can think of (Translation: I'm lazy). Prepare yourself, this ones a doozy.

So one of my friends roommates had a theory for me on why my year was so terrible. See I was born in the Year of the Rat and apparently in Chinese culture, whenever "your" year roles around it's bad luck and you'll have a bad year. Guess what year it was last year? Year of the Rat.

Either way, I had a shitty year (other then my fabulous vacations) so any way to explain it works for me. Right, and I saw someone else do this somewhere and it looked like a good idea, so here I go; it's the year-long summary.

January

January 6th last year I came home after working both jobs to find my house entirely flooded. I couldn't turn on the lights because I could be electrocuted from the water, so I had to search through the sopping wet house for clothes to wear to The Office the next day with a flashlight, while shivering my ass off because the furnace broke due to aforementioned water. Run-on sentences a large part of my life, apparently, at this time. Moved back with the parentals while damage was being fixed.

February

I actually have a Valentines date for the first time since I broke up with my ex 3 years ago. This guy I dated in HS (it's a cycle I tell you) and I went for dinner and it was nice but slightly awkward. I had way more fun having a single girls hot-tub party last year. Decide V-day is way overrated and will never worry about it again.

March
Eleven of us jet-set off to Cuba. It was the first tropical vacation I'd ever been on (I highly doubt England or Scotland count as tropical although they are lovely)

I also got a promotion at The Office this month. Dizzy and her adorable baby also came for a visit: one good month out of three so far.

April

My birthday. I went for dinner with Frenchie and PA. There were supposed to be a lot more people but there was a freakin blizzard so everyone was delayed etc. so planned to meet us afterward. Luckily, about 25 people showed up at the lounge later so I didn't feel like a complete moron.

Pseudo and I pretty much ended things this month, although the off and on thing continues.

May

I was FINALLY able to move back home after renovations to my house were completed. This month consisted mostly of me drinking away any sorrows.

There was the Lilac Festival - it rained the whole day but we still got to watch shirtless men play beach volleyball, there was the night of What Were We Thinking, there was the sex-toy party I had after which we all went out absolutely drunkity-drunk and I ran into O/N for the first time since however many years ago.

Pseudo and I ended things after he ran into me with O/N and I refused to leave O/N to go to Pseudo's. He called me the next day apologizing and we decided we'd be better as friends.


June

I started my blog this month, after searching something on the internet and coming across a blog about a working girl. I ended up reading the whole thing and thought - hey, why not. So the rest of my year will be summed up in pictures:


July: Went house-boating with 9 great ladies and 3 awesome guys. O/N had a boat with all his buddies - much hilarity ensued:

August: Blondie and I with the John Deere rep (his name was John) in PEI:






September:
Right after I worked my ass off planning the Corporate golf tournament...this happened.



Cue nervous breakdown beginning.








October: Went to visit my fantastic sister Dizzy, her hubby and their adorable baby. I drove there with Mum and we did a little BC coast tour.









November:

Found out the parents are (finally) getting a divorce. This makes things slightly more awkward as they do still live together.


December Our last Christmas together as a family. Mom tried to upstage Dad, although we all agreed on a low budget this year. Instead we got things like laptops and iTouch's from Mom and the agreed upon amount from Dad. How this makes sense, I don't know.

Next Christmas, Alice is going on vacation.

13 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

Great to have you back Alice.

LipSmacker said...

Ok, so I wouldn't call it a banner year, but more of an up and down "rollercoaster" year! Here's to better memories this year! ;)

P.S. - I've given you an award! You've been called out as one of my "Beautiful Ladies"! :)

Paula said...

My holidays were the highlight of what wasn't the best year for me too, so i can certainly identify!

And I am STILL jealous of the houseboating!

Megkathleen said...

Well, 2009 can only get better right?

Caz said...

Uh oh I don't want to hear that! I'm Year of the Ox and that's what it is this year...

I choose to not believe your friend.

mistressmom said...

If your theory's right, then it explains why I had a shitty year, too! Thanks for sharing that!

Mud in the City said...

2009 is going to be so much better!

BloodRedRoses said...

Damn. I am also an Ox.

Love the picture of the firing event... although really, it probably wasn't that fun.

Here's to 2009!

Paint-Me-Dioxazine said...

ooof. doozie indeed! here's to the year of some other unfortunate animal!

sarahbelledotcom said...

yesssss. seriously, everyone has been blogging their ASSES off while i took a blog vacation (blogation?) and then spiraled into a complete disaster. your blog is the ONLY one i'm not feeling totally left out of now that i'm back in the blog game (blogame?)

anyhow, basically you've terrified me as i wait for the year of the rabbit (hare? something) to come. i did not know its unlucky for it to be YOUR YEAR? it seems like a good thing. chinese are crazy.

here's to a fabulous 2009.

mooskietx said...

The Gold’s gyms in College Station offer lot of services that can help you get into a routine.

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

At least you have stories to tell...sometimes the memories are all we have left. Wow, that is morose.

pistols at dawn said...

Since I drink too much to have a memory (the two are quite likely related), if I tried to do this, it'd read like:

April - did something, I think. Probably yelled at a cop.

May - I'm pretty sure I drank too much and yelled at a cop.